Wednesday 5 May 2010

Hengki Koentjoro - Photography and Indonesian tradition



Puppet Silhouette





1. Q : What are your main influences?
A: My main influence in photography is an Indonesian tradition that I saw for the first time when I was in childhood.
In Indonesia we have a form of theatrical puppet performance called The Wayang Kulit. Basically a maestro called Dalang will perform a story taken from the Hindus Mahabarata episode (ancient book in Sanskrit) and illustrate using the shadow of a puppet. The puppets represents character of good and bad. A lantern is lit behind the Dalang will create a silhouette on the screen in front of him enabling the viewer from the other side of the screen to see the performance.
This silhouette captivated me and I use this method frequently on my photographs, I project an image that looks like a silhouette. A bit dramatic, surrealist and mysterious I should say.

2. Q: What does photography represent to you?
A: Photography is an escape for me. Kind of balancing the stressful of the real world, it keeps your sanity. This is also the medium where I can express my self with freedom. B&W in particular gives me more flexibility for personal interpretation. It is rich in mysteries and evokes stronger emotion.

3. Q: What do you want to transmit?
A: I love nature specially the ocean. I hope with my photographs the viewer will be taken to a journey to the other world by exposing the unseen. I believe a good picture should transmit an emotion and to do that one's work must have "the spirit". I want them not just to look, but see the photograph.

4. Q: What is the work that you are particularly attached?
A: Anything to do with water. Water calms me down, specially the huge Blue ocean. It's a source of sanity as well as inspiration. Living in Indonesia also help, it is the biggest archipelago nation on earth with 17,000 islands to play with. My favorites work almost always comes from the sea, somehow I perform better in that realm.

1. D: Quali sono le tue principali influenze?
A: I miei lavori fotografici si basano, e si può così parlare di influenza, su una tradizione indonesiana a cui ho assistito per la prima volta durante l’infanzia. In Indonesia abbiamo una forma di spettacolo teatrale fatto con i burattini, chiamato The Wayang Kulit. In poche parole un maestro chiamato Dalang racconta una storia presa da un episodio del libro Hindus Mahabarata (libro antico in sanscrito) con l’uso dell’ombra di un burattino. Il burattino rappresenta sia il bene che il male. Una lampada accesa dietro il Dalang crea una silhouette sullo schermo, permettendo a chi è dall’altra parte di vedere la performance di ombre. Quella silhouette mi ha incantato e spesso riutilizzo questo metodo nelle mie fotografie. Progetto un’immagine in modo tale che sembri una silhouette. Un po’ teatrale, surrealista e misteriosa, penso.

2. D: Che cosa rappresenta la fotografia per te?
A: La fotografia per me è un’evasione, un modo per riequilibrare lo stress della vita reale e appagare la mente. È anche il mezzo attraverso il quale posso esprimermi con libertà. Il bianco e nero, in particolare, mi dà una maggiore flessibilità per un’interpretazione personale, perché da un senso di mistero e evoca emozioni forti.

3. D: Cosa vuoi trasmettere con la tua arte?
A: Amo la natura, in particolare l’oceano. Spero che attraverso le mie fotografie, che mostrano dettagli, particolari, scene nuove, lo spettatore intraprenda un viaggio per un’altra parte di mondo non ancora conosciuto. Credo che una bella fotografia possa trasmettere emozione, ma per fare ciò il lavoro deve possedere uno “spirito”. Vorrei che il pubblico non guardasse semplicemente la fotografia, ma la vedesse.

4. D: Qual è un lavoro al quale sei particolarmente affezionato?
A: Qualsiasi che abbia a che fare con l’acqua. L’acqua mi calma, in particolare l’immensità blu dell’oceano. È una fonte di equilibrio e d’ispirazione per me. Vivere in Indonesia è anche un grande aiuto, è l’arcipelago più grande del mondo con 17,000 isole. I miei lavori preferti quasi sempre hanno a che fare con il mare, in qualche modo mi esprimo meglio in quel ambiente.

For further information see also http://koentjoro.com/, http://hengki24.deviantart.com and http://10711.portfolio.artlimited.net
All the images posted here are by Hengki Koentjoro.
 




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...