Monday 31 May 2010

Bruce Munro - the positive point of view of Art


Computer Generated Image (CGI) of Munro's design for CDSea (to be installed June 19/20).
Image credit: Steven Weeks

Photograph of Munro's Field of Light at the Eden Project in Cornwall 2008/2009.
Photo by Mark Pickthall.

Photograph of the same, also by Mark Pickthall.

- Can you tell us something about yourself?
A quick answer as I am about to meet a friend at the village pub …I love Italian food and positive people.

-When did you discover your passion for art?
When I was five , I remember loving drawing a Viking ship . By the time I was eight I painted my first oil painting , and I was hooked. I remember the paint remained wet and it was a challenge ( which I enjoyed). It was the first time I consciously became aware of the characteristics of a material.

- How do you create your works? (referring to the installations)
It starts with an idea that is usually from a good memory, experience or feeling. I believe good things in life are much more important to express and I am bored of seeing 'down' art. The installation process is a method for me to recreate the idea into another format. Often an installation will inspire stories of its own; its a bit like the game of 'Chinese Whispers'. It allows one to enjoy other people's art without needing to know anything about them.

- What are your main sources of inspirations?
It sounds cliché, but everything is a source of inspiration. I believe in both Science (cause and effect) as well as the Buddhist concept of Karma.

- What do you want to transmit with your art to people?
I am fifty years old. I feel that I have barely started. I am very excited by art because I have just discovered that the subject matter that inspires me has been with me all my life. I am less self-conscious and I can be more honest. Time is precious. The scientist David Bohn described reality as “Unbroken wholeness in flowing movement”. This is so true; and I want to describe both this and other ideas through my art.

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te?
Una risposta veloce perché sto per incontrare un amico al “village pub”.. amo il cibo italiano e le persone ottimiste.

- Quando hai scoperto la tua passione per l’arte?
Quando avevo cinque anni mi ricordo che mi piacevano i disegni di una barca vichinga. All’età di otto anni creai il mio primo dipinto ad olio, e ne rimasi innamorato. Mi ricordo che il dipinto non si asciugava, è stata una sfida che ho apprezzato molto. È stata la prima volta che presi coscienza delle caratteristiche di un materiale.

- Come crei i tuoi lavori? (con riferimento alle istallazioni)
Il tutto inizia con un’idea che deriva di solito da un ricordo piacevole, o un’esperienza o una sensazione. Credo che le cose positive della vita siano molto più importanti da esprimere. Sono annoiato dall’arte negativa e pessimista. L’istallazione per me è un modo per rappresentare l’idea in un diverso formato. Spesso un’istallazione ispira storie di suo, un po’ come il gioco “Telefono Senzafili”. Permette agli osservatori di apprezzare l’arte di qualcuno senza sapere niente di quella persona.

- Quali sono le tue principali fonti d’ispirazione?
Sembrerà scontato, ma tutto è una fonte d’ispirazione. Credo sia nella Scienza (causa-effetto), come nel concetto Buddista del Karma.

- Cosa vuoi rappresentare con la tua arte?
Ho cinquant’anni. Mi sento come se avessi appena iniziato. Sono molto emozionato dall’arte perché ho da poco scoperto che l’argomento che mi affascina ed è fonte per me di ispirazione è stato con me tutta la vita. Sono meno cosciente di me stesso e posso invece essere più onesto. Il tempo è prezioso. Lo scienziato David Bohn ha descritto la realtà come “intatta totalità in fluente movimento”. Questo è completamene vero e io attraverso la mia arte voglio rappresentare questa e altre idee.

For further information see also www.brucemunro.co.uk/

Photograph of a prototype Water Tower by Munro, standing in Long Knoll Field.
Photo by Mark Pickthall


Computer Generated Images (CGI) of the Water Towers installation by Munro, which will be at Salisbury Cathedral UK in January 2011.


Computer Generated Images (CGI) of the Water Towers installation by Munro, which will be at Salisbury Cathedral UK in January 2011.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...