Friday 29 October 2010

Abigail Wellman - Fine art portrait photographer









- Can you tell me something about yourself?
I am an artist living in the northeastern United States, working in fine art color portrait photography, a medium which is excellent for getting painterly constructions and effects and for capturing the unspoken qualities of a woman’s character and “aura.” Although my subjects tend to be women who, like myself are engaged in some significant processes of creation. This is particularly true of those who regard my pictures of themselves as opportunities. My work is more optimistic than not. I am a Buddhist committed to finding optimism everywhere.

- How do you create your works?
There is an implicit dialogue and wordless conversation which takes place with my photographic subjects (usually people) and myself. If the subject is a woman, the dialogue can be enhanced by an understanding of each other’s human condition and creative impetus. Elements of a “scenario,” such as backdrops, props, color, texture, positioning, composition, and the play of light get drawn into our dialogue of assertion, vulnerability, and creation. In the end an artwork emerges from this mix of elements.

- What would you like to communicate through your works to the spectator?
Of course, the spectators bring to the work what they wish to have communicated to them. I try to leave the work open enough so that the dialogue that myself and my photographic subject will also include the spectator. This process of inclusion is a form of creation, since all things establish themselves in relation to other things.

- What is today the role of photography for you?
For me at this time in my life, and at this period of history, the role of fine art portrait photography is to distill the essential human condition in a way which is personally meaningful to myself, my audience, my subjects (as co creators of our art) and this risky, hopeful and dystopian age, which we all inhabit as a frontier territory, on the edge of the unknown.

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te?
Sono un’artista che vive nella zona nord est degli Stati Uniti, per lo più i miei lavori sono costituiti da ritratti a color. La fotografia è un mezzo eccellente per ottenere ricostruzioni pittoriche e catturare le qualità nascoste dei personaggi femminili, la loro “aura”. I miei soggetti di solito sono donne che come me sono impegnate in qualche processo di creazione. Il mio lavoro è più ottimista che pessimista. Sono Buddista impegnata trovare ottimismo dappertutto.

- Come crei i tuoi lavori?
C’è un dialogo implicito e una conversazione senza parole che avviene tra me e i miei soggetti fotografici, di solito persone. Se il soggetto è una donna, il dialogo può diventare una comprensione della condizione umana reciproca e così un impeto creativo. Gli elementi dello sfondo, come i colori, le posizioni, la composizione e il gioco di luci si inseriscono nel nostro dialogo di vulnerabilità e creazione. Alla fine un’opera d’arte nasce da un mix di elementi.

- Cosa intendi comunicare attraverso i tuoi lavori allo spettatore?
Di sicuro gli osservatori comprendono il lavoro un po’ per quello che loro si aspettano che gli venga comunicato. Io cerco di lasciare il lavoro abbastanza “aperto”, in modo che il dialogo che creo tra me e il mio soggetto fotografico possa includere lo spettatore. Questo processo di inclusione è anch’esso una forma di creazione, dal momento che tutte le cose si formano in relazione ad altre.

- Qual’è per te il ruolo della fotografia oggi?
Per me ora come ora, il ruolo della fotografia artistica che ha come soggetto i ritratti è di distillare l’essenza della condizione umana, in un modo che è particolarmente significativo per me, il mio pubblico, i miei soggetti (Come co-creatori della nostra arte) e questa rischiosa e speranzoso tempo, dove tutti viviamo come una territorio di frontiera, al confine dell’ignoto.

For further information see also http://www.abigailwellmanphotography.com/  
All the images posted here are Abigail Wellman’s works.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...