Wednesday 13 October 2010

Rens Krikhaar - Having a dialogue with the painting





- Can you tell us something about yourself? When did you discover your passion for art?
Well I can’t really remember when I discovered that I had a passion for art. One thing I do know is that ever since I could hold a pencil or a crayon in my hand, I immediately felt the urge to create new worlds. The first four years of my life I grew up with my grandparents. They lived in a big house near a forrest. The living room and hallway where decorated with paintings of family portraits and flowers. I think it started just there. At that time of course I did not knew the word Art, but I realised that I easily could disappear in one of those paintings. The paintings absorbed me in a way. Years later I got interested in writing graffiti. Especially going out at night looking for a spot to do a piece helped me out to draw and paint very directly. It also gave me a feeling of confidence. There was not really much time to sit and shape things up, and of course there wasn't much light. The whole scenery, the darkness and desolate places were very fascinating to me. I got more and more interested in painting and visiting musea and exhibitions across Europe. A year later I decided to attend the Academy of Arts.

- How do you create your works?
I create my works along memories and the drawings & sketches I make. I like to observe the things around me, in daily life and during travelling. There is a lot going on, hidden things, things I don’t trust. Ambiences & experiences I want to paint. The future in a dialogue with the past, or a past in war with our future? When I discover a place where I have never been before, I need to have the feeling that it’s a safe and threatening place at the same time. It has got something to do with adrenaline as well. I get excited, cause in my imagination anything can happen! In most of these situations I prefer to stay there one or two hours, just observing the place. I remember the fevers I had As a child, my body felt cold and I was constantly dreaming of fluid landscapes. Boiling sand and gloomy skies. I think I really tried to translate things into colour and paint. When I’m at such a place, I want to interview the scenery. Of course I don’t get any answers from it, but I keep on asking & answering these questions. This ‘Ritual’ of asking and answering questions continues in the studio where I work. What is happening at this place? What did happen here? According to the drawings and sketches I made earlier, a new world based on my memories and notes rises. When I finish a painting, I still didn’t get all of the answers. Anything can happen. If there are any unanswered questions they are hiding inside the work. Somehow it reminds me of the first paintings I saw in my grandparents’ house. I want to invite viewers into these worlds without showing the way.

- What are your main sources of inspirations?
I think important sources for my work are travelling, reading, digging for treasures, visiting museums & theatre. Besides these activities I listen and collect a lot of soundscapes and ambient music from all over the world.

- What is art for you?
I think it is one of the biggest and purest gifts. It offers people a great escape from daily life! In a way a doubt about the role of daily life and Art. Are these worlds separated or is that something we have to find out?

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te? Quando hai scoperto la tua passione per l’arte?
Non riesco esattamente a ricordare quando ho scoperto di avere una passione per l’arte. Una cosa però la so, che da quando sono riuscito a tenere in mano una matita o un pennarello ho sentito l’urgenza di creare nuovi mondi. I primi quattro anni della mia vita li ho trascorsi con i miei nonni in una casa vicino ad una foresta. Il soggiorno e l’entrata erano decorate con dipinti, ritratti di famiglia e fiori. Penso che sia iniziato lì. A quel tempo di certo non conoscevo la parola arte, ma mi sono reso conto che potevo facilmente sparire in uno di quei dipinti. Anni dopo mi sono interessato ai graffiti, soprattutto uscire la notte per dipingere qualcosa mi ha aiutato a farlo in modo molto diretto e mi ha infuso sicurezza. Non c’era molto tempo per disegnare, nè molta luce. Lo scenario, il buio e I posti desolate mi affascinavano molto. Il mio interesse verso i dipinti è aumentato visitando i musei e le mostre durante un viaggio in Europa. Un anno dopo infatti ho deciso di frequentare l’accademia d’arte.

- Come crei i tuoi lavori?
Creo i miei lavori sulla base di ricordi o di schizzi fatti. Mi piace osservare le cose che mi circondano, nella vita quotidiana e durante i viaggi. Succedono un sacco di cose, cose nascoste, cose in cui non credo. Io voglio dipingere ambienti ed esperienze. Il futuro in un dialogo con il passato o il passato in guerra con il futuro? Quando scopro un posto in cui non sono mai stato, deve cogliermi la sensazione che sia un posto sicuro e minaccioso allo stesso tempo. Deve avere a che fare con l’adrenalina, penso che possa accadere di tutto. Nella maggior parte di queste situazioni mi piace stare lì per qualche ora ad osservare la situazione. Mi ricordo le febbri che ho avuto da bambino quando sognavo paesaggi fluidi, spiagge che bollivano e cieli tenebrosi. Così cercai di trasformarli in dipinti. Quando trovo un posto così cerco di intervistarlo, ovviamente non ricevo risposta, ma continuo in una sorta di domanda-risposta rituale che continuo anche nel mio studio. Così mi immagino, cosa sta accadendo a questo posto? Cos’è successo qui? E così, basandomi anche su ricordi e schizzi fatti in precedenza ecco che nasce un nuovo mondo. Quando finisco di dipingere non ho ancora risposto a tutte le domande, può ancora succedere di tutto. Le domande non risposte si stanno nascondendo nel lavoro. Voglio invitare lo spettatore ad entrare nel dipinto senza mostrargli la strada.

- Quali sono le tue principali fonti d’ispirazione?
Credo che le principali siano, viaggiare, leggere, cercare tesori, visitare musei e teatri e poi raccolgo e colleziono molta musica d’ambiente da tutto il mondo.

- Cos’è l’arte per te?
Credo sia uno dei più grandi e puri doni. Offre alle persone una grande via di fuga dalla vita di tutti i giorni! Mi interrogo sul ruolo dell’arte nella vita di tutti I giorni, sono separate o c’è qualcosa che dobbiamo scoprire?

For further information see also http://www.renskrikhaar.com/.
All the images posted here are Rens Krikhaar’s works.
Until the November the 7th he is exibhiting at Galerie Maurits van de Laar


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...