Monday 11 October 2010

Chris McCaw - Sunburn photos and large format cameras








- Can you tell us something about yourself? When did you discover your passion for art?
I have always been into photography since I can remember. There are photographs i took with a kodak 110 camera when I was 4 years old. I didn't start working in the darkroom till I was 13 years old. Once I got in there and learned the process I became obsessed with photography. It is really all I have ever wanted to do. Since 13 I was focused on photographing skateboarding and punk music shows. Then that slowly transfered to photographing my friends in these worlds in a kind of portraiture. I learned about large format cameras and alternative processes in 1990-93 and really fell in love with platinum printing.I ended up making my own 7"x17" view camera and doing platinum printing with this format for about 10 years. Now things have moved to working with photography on a more physical, elemental level with my sunburn series.

- How do you create your works?
I assume you are asking about the Sunburn work. It is a very simple process. It is interesting that sometimes the best things are found taking the simplest approach. Basically I am putting vintage black and white paper inside large format cameras, from 4"x5" to 30"x40". The larger cameras are home made by myself. The paper is exposed inside the camera on location for some hours at a time. I use military reconnaissance optics to project a much brighter image then ordinary lenses. This creates the burning process of the sun as it moves through the sky. The brightness also helps with this natural occurrence called solarization. Basically the paper is extremely over exposed to the point where it reverses into a positive naturally. I then develop the paper negative in the darkroom like a standard b&w print and that's that. Simple.

- What are your main sources of inspirations?
In terms of the early years when I was a teenager, I'd say my friends involved in the DIY punk scene. Through them I learned you can do anything, even if you have no money. Just think creatively and figure it out. Don't let people convince you that you are not capable of doing what you want. But mainly my inspirational sources come from the world we live in. I love being outdoors in nature. I really love the desert of southern California.

- What is art for you?
Art is something that sparks an interest in the viewer. Something that speaks to the person experiencing it.Whether it be love, hate, further questions... just something sparks some kind of emotion.

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te? Come hai scoperto la tua passione per l’arte?
Ho sempre avuto a che fare con la fotografia da che mi ricordi. Ho conservato delle fotografie che ho scattato a 4 anni con una Kodak110. solo a 13 anni ho iniziato a lavorare nella camera oscura, una volta imparati i processi la fotografia è diventata la mia ossessione. È tutto quello che ho sempre desiderato fare. All’inizio ero ossessionato da fotografare gli eventi di skateboarding e punk music. Poi ho incominciato a fotografare i miei amici. Sono venuto a conoscenza dei macchine a largo formato e dei preocessi di stampa alternativi nel 90-93 e mi sono innamorato della stampa platinum. Ho finito con il farmi la mia macchina con obiettivo7"x17" e stampe platino per oltre 10 anni. Ora ho cambiato un po’ stile, e ho iniziato a lavorare con la fotografia ad un livello più elementare.

- Come crei I tuoi lavori?
Penso che tu ti riferisca alle solarizzazioni. È un processo molto semplice. È interessante come certe volte le cose migliori si riescano a trovare usando l’approccio più semplice. In pratica metto un foglio vintage bianco e nero in una macchina largo formato,da 4"x5" a 30"x40", fatte da me. Ogni foglio rimane esposto alcune ore per ogni fotografia. Uso obietti militari invece che le normali lenti per avere un effeto più luminoso. Questo crea l’effetto di bruciatura e del sole che si muove nel cielo. Il foglio è quindi soggetto a una sovraesposizione notevole. Così che alcune zone del negativo risultano positive dopo lo sviluppo, mentre nella stampa succede il contrario: le zone solarizzate risultano negative. Lo sviluppo della foto avviene in una camera oscura come una normale foto in bianco e nero.

- Quali sono le tue fonti d’ispirazione?
Quando ero adolescente avrei risposto i miei amici coinvolti negli eventi punk. Attraverso loro ho imparato che potevo fare tutto, anche se non avevo soldi. Bisogna solo pensare in modo creativo e immaginarlo. Non lasciare che le persone ti convincano che non sei capace a fare ciò che vuoi! Comunque oggi la mia fonte d’ispirazione è il mondo in cui viviamo. Amo stare fuori in mezzo alla natura e il deserto della California del sud.

- Cos’è l’arte per te?
L’arte è qualcosa che accende un interesse nello spettatore. Qualcosa che parla alla persona che la sta vivendo. Qualsiasi cosa sia: amore, odio, domande.. qualcosa che accende le emozioni.

For further information see also http://www.chrismccaw.com/Home.html.
All the images posted here are Chris McCaw’s works.


Chris' homemade camera


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...