Wednesday 2 June 2010

Kim Anno - Art and social matters




Float

Styx copy

Thundercrack


- Can you tell us something about yourself? When did you discover your passion for Art?
I am an artist who works in painting, photography, and video. I am also a professor at the California College of the Arts in San Francisco.
I have always thought that expanding the function of art in society, and the roles that artists can play in the world is an important thing. I am an artist who likes to push the margins of particular disciplines. For example i think that abstraction is more of a verb and less of a noun. I think that abstracting something has existed from the beginning of time, and artists do this willingly and with great passion and desire. The desire to create a space where viewers have to think, where viewers have to interact with an image in a primary way is something that occurs in ancient, the middle ages, modern, and the contemporary world. I discovered my passion for art making when I was a young child but at the same time I began to look at society and life in a contextual way. That is to say, the microcosm of art making occurred to me at the same time the macrocosm of outer space or the universe. So I felt that I effect my own identity and the outside world in some small way.

- Which is the idea behind your art?
The idea behind my art now is rubbing up against the issues of climate change, and creating work that will get people to think more deeply about it. For example in my video i am trying to take the image of American or Western idealism of nature and spoil that, so that people will see how central this issue is. For example in my Yosemite video i take the image of Albert Bierdstadt's Yosemite valley painting (which was part of the impetus for the establishing of American National park system) and plunge it into water and spoil it with inks. The image rolls itself up and disappears and we are left with the residue of murky ink. I see this as a projection where the human being has a body relationship to the image. The paintings are also influenced by the changing landscape of the ice sheets melting, and rearranging themselves. "Thundercrack" is a land form exploding into the endless metal sea that the image is painted on. I paint on aluminum panel because it offers a kind of illusionism that evokes endless water or air. This to me is the essence of an abstract image, the image is forming itself. I like to think that this is the verb of "abstract", "abstract thought" There is nothing more abstract than the thought of the disappearing earth as we know it. I think of water coming into every oriface in both urban and rural areas around the world.

- How do you create your works?
So in video i plunge things into tanks of water and interact with them, and film them with high definition video. In photography i do the same with large negative cameras and print them large. I put trash, plants, fragments of things into the water. For example i am making a model of the giant gyre of plastic trash out in the Pacific ocean, and i am going to spin this in the San Francisco Bay and film this underwater, with the high def video camera.
In painting, I pour white paint over the metal and then paint with oil glaze on top of the metal, to create nuance of color and suggestion of the blur between land and water.

- What are your main sources of inspirations?
the main sources of my inspiration are other artists work, like both filmmakers, composers, performers, painters,etc. I also am inspired by environmental activists, climate justice activists. The developed world and the developing world have a tension between them that is provocative and important to me. This spurs me on to make my work. I hope that my work presents the questions, not necessarily the answers. I am interested in art that causes me to have an experience that is beyond any particular media. The depth of the experience looms larger to me that the recognition of how something is made.

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te? Quando hai scoperto la tua passione per l’arte?
Sono un artista che lavora sia dipingendo, sia con la fotografia, sia con i video. Sono anche un professore al California College di Arte a San Francisco.
Ho sempre pensato che espandere il ruolo dell’arte nella società e il ruolo che gli artisti possono assumere nel mondo sia una cosa importante. Sono un artista che cerca di ampliare i confini di certe discipline. Per esempio penso che l’astrazione abbia qualcosa in più del verbo e meno del nome. Penso che “astrarre qualcosa” sia un azione compiuta dall’inizio dei tempi, e che gli artisti l’abbiano sempre fatto con grande passione e desiderio. Il desiderio di creare uno spazio dove l’osservatore debba pensare, interagire con un’immagine è una cosa che esiste dall’antichità e che dal Medioevo si è trasmessa fino al mondo contemporaneo. Ho scoperto la mia passione per la creazione artistica quando ero un bambino, ma allo stesso tempo iniziai ad osservare anche la società e la vita. Questo è per dire che mi sono accorto del microcosmo dell’arte allo stesso tempo in cui ho preso coscienza del macrocosmo del mondo esterno e dell’universo.

- Qual’è l’idea che sta dietro la tua arte?
In questo momento sto concentrando il mio lavoro sulla questione legata al cambiamento climatico e sto creando opere che permettano ale persone di fermarsi a riflettere su questo problema. Per esempio, nei miei video ho cercato di prendere l’idea Americana o Occidentale di natura e smitizzarla in modo da far vedere quanto importante sia il problema del surriscaldamento terrestre. Nel video Yosemite ho usato l’immagine del dipinto di Albert Bierdstadt “Yosemite valley” e l’ho immerso nell’acqua e l’ho macchiato con l’inchiostro. L’immagine si è arrotolata su se stessa ed è sparita e noi siamo rimasti con il residuo d’inchiostro. In questo vedo una proiezione dove l’essere umano si può dire che abbia quasi un contatto fisico con l’immagine. I dipinti allo stesso modo si riferiscono ai campiamenti climatici e allo scioglimento delle calotte polari. . "Thundercrack" è una forma di terreno che esplode nel mare di metallo senza fine su cui l’immagine è dipinta. Dipingo su pannelli di alluminio perché creano una sorta di illusione che evoca l’acqua o l’aria. Questa è l’essenza dell’immagine astratta , l’immagine si crea da sola. Secondo me non c’è nulla di più astratto della “terra che svanisce” quando noi ne siamo coscienti.

- Come crei I tuoi lavori?
Nei video, immergo cose in vasche d’acqua e interagisco con loro, il tutto mentre filmo con un video in alta definizione. Nella fotografia, faccio lo stesso. In acqua metto pattumiera, piante, frammenti di cose. Per esempio, sto costruendo un modello dell’aglomerato gigante di plastica nell’oceano Pacifico e ho intenzione di metterlo nella baia di S Francisco per poi riprenderlo sott’acqua. Per i dipinti, invece, verso tinte bianche sul metallo e poi le ripasso con uno smalto ad olio in modo da creare nuance di colori e suggestioni.

- Quali sono le tue principali fonti d’spirazione?
Le principali fonti d’ispirazione per me sono I lavori degli altri, come registi, compositori, pittori… sono anche ispirato dalle attività per l’ambiente. Tra il mondo sviluppato e quello che si può ancora sviluppare esiste una tensione molto importante per me. Questo mi spinge a proseguire il mio lavoro. Spero che il mio lavoro ponga tante domande, non necessariamente fornendo risposte. Sono interessato all’arte che mi permetta di avere un’esperienza, indipendentemente dal media. La profondità dell’esperienza rimane impressa in me, molto di più della conoscenza di come un’opera venga fatta.

All the images posted here are Kim Anno's works.
For further information see also http://www.kimanno.com/.
 
 
 
Yosemite

Bayou

Red-flood

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...