Friday 25 June 2010

Denise Schatz - Collaborative art and artist books


drawing from book of houseplants (graphite)


drawing from i thought of you (graphite)

drawing from book of houseplants (graphite)

drawing from book of rocks (graphite and collage)


- Can you tell us something about yourself?
I grew up in Los Angeles, Ca. but I currently live and work in Brooklyn, NY. I make drawings and I take photographs. In 2007, I founded the small press Miniature Garden which publishes collaborative artist books and posters. Projects have included contributions from Ariel Dill, Miya Osaki, Jamie Stewart, Claudia Peña Salinas, Lucky Dragons, David Horvitz, Robin Cameron, Patricia Valencia, Chris Newmyer and Jennilee Marigomen, among many other artists. I enjoy collaborating on projects with friends and artists I admire. I find the intimacy and accessibility of a book format appealing.

- When did you discover your passion for art?
I have always been inspired by the small things around me - houseplants, bowls made of wood, rock collections, old books and records, my mother's rhinestone bracelets, bobby pins...or things I have discovered in thrift stores and found on the street. I make drawings and take photographs of these objects. It is a habitual archive.

- What are your main sources of inspirations?
I love books. At the moment, I especially love books printed in the 1970's. I like the design, the dusty smell of the pages, the faded colors.

- What do you want to transmit with your works?
I am interested in memory, chance, and habit. I like to work collaboratively. I think the surprise and challenge of working with other people, getting outside my own head, transmits a very different energy then when I work alone. The solitude of working in the studio is necessary and enjoyable, but I find that the ideas that come when working with other people are far more conducive to experimentation and relevance.

- How do you create your projects?
Very slowly. Then fast when a deadline suddenly approaches!

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te?
Sono cresciuta a Los Angeles, Ca, ma adesso vivo a Brooklyn, NY. Disegno e fotografo. Nel 2007, ho fondato un piccolo giornale chiamato “Miniature Garden” che pubblica libri e poster di artisti. Il progetto ha incluso collaborazioni con Ariel Dill, Miya Osaki, Jamie Stewart, Claudia Peña Salinas, Lucky Dragons, David Horvitz, Robin Cameron, Patricia Valencia, Chris Newmyer e Jennilee Marigomen tra I tanti artisti. Mi piace collaborare con amici e artisti che ammiro. Trovo molto accattivante il formato del libro per la sua intimità e acccessibilità.

-Quando hai scoperto la tua passione per l’arte?
Sono sempre stata ispirata dalle piccole cose che mi circondano, le piante di casa, bocce di legno, collezioni di minerali, vecchi libri o cassette, il braccialetto di strass di mia madre... o cose trovate in negozi dell’usato o per strada. Faccio disegni o fotografo queste cose, è un archivio abituale.

- Quali sono le tue principali fonti d’ispirazione?
Amo i libri. In questo periodo mi piacciono soprattutto i libri stampati negli anni 70. In particolare il design, l’odore sporco delle pagine e i colori sbiaditi.

- Cosa vuoi comunicare attraverso I tuoi lavori?
Sono interessata alla memoria, al cambiamento, alle abitudini. Mi piace lavorare in modo collaborativo. Penso che la sorpresa e la sfida di lavorare con alter persone trasmetta un’energia molto diversa rispetto a quando lavoro da sola. La solitudine quando lavoro in studio è necessaria e piacevole, ma trovo che le idée che nascono dal lavoro in gruppo conducano più spesso alla sperimentazione.

- Come crei I tuoi progetti?
Molto piano fino a quando non si avvicina la scadenza, allora mi velocizzo.

For further information see also http://www.deniseschatz.net/ .
All the images posted here are Denise Schatz’ works.
image from books + records (with Chris Newmyer)

image from the unsolved problems (with Casey Cook)

image from book of rocks (with Ariel Dill and Miya Osaki)

image from book of houseplants (with Ariel Dill and Miya Osaki)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...