Monday 21 June 2010

Eckenheimer - When Art meets Literature and Music



Daphne


Good morning everyone! Today’s interview is to an artist, who I found on Deviant Art, his artistic name is Eckenheimer, but his real name is Hendrik Reum. Enjoy it!


-Can you tell us something about yourself? When did you discover your passion for art?
I am 42 years old. I studied economics and later philosophy. As a child I detected the magic of creativity. And all the years I always worked with pencils, colors and words. Later in the age of 30 I received my first camera. But it took me five additional years to discover the power of photography. Now I work with Olympus E3 and these camera goes along with me almost every time (my wife would confirm it ;-)).

-How do you create your works?
Most of the times I have a concrete idea. I work very constant on the realization of the initial concept. Sometimes I make sketches. I always take a sketch-book with me. I work with Photoshop CS4, mainly with my own resources. Often I use parts of my own paintings to create mixed media works. The biggest problem is to find an end - this can last several weeks. :-)

-What are your main sources of inspirations?
I think music and literature are very inspirational. My work "Daphne" for instance resulted after the visit of the opera with the same name (Daphne by Richard Strauss). And sometimes I just grab my painting equipment and paint on canvas or paper. I love especially to work with pastel chalk. Sunken in this work I can find tranquillity and new inspiration.

-What is the work that you are more attached to? Why?
Well, I really like the picture "The Way". Because the whole life is a way. And it is good to have a beloved person on your side. But "Daphne" is definitely a very important picture and I feel be drawn to it in a special manner. I love the mythological story behind Daphne. It tells about alteration, about metamorphosis, to find new ways to master the life.

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te? Come hai scoperto la tua passione per l’arte?
Ho 42 anni. Ho studiato economia e più tardi filosofia. Da bambino ho scoperto la magia della creatività. E negli anni ho sempre lavorato con matite, colori e parole. Più tardi all’età di trent’anni ho ricevuto la mia prima macchina fotografica. Ma ci sono voluti cinque ulteriori anni perchè scoprissi la bellezza della fotografia. Adesso lavoro con un’ Olympus E3 e che porto sempre con me. (Mia moglie può confermare!)

-Come crei i tuoi lavori?
Per lo più parto da un’idea concreta e lavoro in modo costante sulla realizzazione del concetto iniziale. A volte faccio delle bozze, infatti porto sempre con me un bloc notes. Lavoro con Photoshop CS4, per lo più con risorse mie. Spesso uso parti dei miei dipinti per creare lavori con l’utilizzo di più media. Il problema più grande è trovare la fine.

-Quali sono le tue principali fonti d’ispirazione?
Penso musica e letteratura. Il mio lavoro “Daphne” per esempio è nato dopo la visione dell’opera omonima (Daphne di Richard Strauss). Mentre altre volte prendo solamente il mio materiale per pitturare e mi metto a dipingere sulla tela o sulla carta. Mi piace in particolare lavorare con il gesso. Sommerso in questo lavoro riesco a trovare tranquillità e ispirazione.

- A quali, tra le tue opere, sei più affezionato? Perchè?
 Mi piace molto l’opera “The Way” (il percorso). Perchè tutta la vita è un percorso ed è bello avere una persona a fianco. Ma “Daphne” è decisamente un lavoro importante. Mi piace la storia mitologica dietro Daphne. Parla di cambiamenti, di metamorfosi e di un nuovo modo per padroneggiare la vita.

For further information see also http://www.eckenheimer.com/ .
All the images posted here are Eckenheimer’s works.







3 comments:

Elektra said...

wow,very very beautiful art and a nice interview. Let me know if he once gives an exhibition in Belgium.

Giulia said...

I really like this artist too. Yes, I will ask him :-).

Giulia said...

Hi:) I've asked to him. He is planning an exhibition in frankfurt in Autumn. And he will be put all the info on his web site:).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...