Wednesday 30 June 2010

Yeti Yeji Yun - between illustrations and memory collection







- Can you tell us something about yourself? When did you discover your passion for illustration?
I'm an illustrator born in Seoul, South Korea and live and work in London at the moment. I also describe my self as a memory collector, who wanders around the world to find wonders. When I think back, doing illustration happened to me quite naturally. I remember I started to draw and paint things from when I was 5 years old or perhaps before that. I've always liked doodling something on any papers and making little thing for friends. Also people have asked me to make some images for various reasons so I happily did that. Now they call me as an illustrator so here I am.

- How do you create your works?
Most of my work are based on hand drawn images and collected vintage sauces. What I mostly do for creating images is conjoining all those images in Photoshop with lots of layers and make them into one final. I also enjoy using old fashioned methods such as silk screen, etching, and collage.

- What are your main sources of inspirations?
'Memory is the space of time' This is the main theme of my world. I like exploring emotions and imagination. Anything has the feeling of Nostalgia also inspires me to create something.

- What is your prefer artist? Why?
I like the artists who create something that beautifully moves me regardless of what art field she or he's belong to. There are a lot of my favorites so it's hard to mention just few of them here. hmm. However now I'll try to give some examples. Right now I have an artist book called "not in fashion" by Mark Borthwick besides me, I love this. and on the wall of my desk, I put some of film frame images of Jonas Mekas. I like something poetic and romantic. Also I see Henry Darger and Saul Steinberg's postcard on the wall. I admire their bizarreness and wittiness.

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te? Quando hai scoperto la tua passione per le illustrazioni?
Sono un’illustratrice nata a Seoul, Corea del Sud, che vive e lavora a Londra al momento. Mi descrivo anche come una collezionista di memorie, che si pone domande sul mondo per scoprire meraviglie. Se penso al passato, fare l’illustratrice è successa come cosa del tutto naturale. Mi ricordo che ho iniziato a disegnare e dipingere oggetti a cinque anni o forse anche prima. Mi è sempre piaciuto scarabocchiare sulla carta e fare piccole cose per gli amici. A volte le persone mi hanno chiesto di fare delle cose per i loro amici e io le ho fatte volentieri. Oggi mi chiamano come illustratrice, ed eccomi qui.

-Come crei I tuoi lavori?
La maggior parte dei miei lavori sono basati su immagini create a mano e immagini vintage. Io le unisco su photoshop con più livelli, e alla fine li uniscono in un unico finale. Mi piace anche usare metodi più vecchi come le serigrafie, l’acquaforte e collage.

-Quali sono le tue principali fonti d’ispirazione?
“La memoria è lo spazio del tempo” Questo è il tema principale del mio lavoro. Mi piace esplorare le emozioni e l’immaginazione. Tutto ciò che ha un senso di Nostalgia mi ispira a creare qualcosa.

-Qual’è il tuo artista preferito? Perchè?
Mi piacciono gli artisti che creano qualcosa di bello capace di smuovermi, senza tenere conto del campo d’arte da cui l’artista proviene. Ce ne sono molti che mi piacciono quindi mi risulta difficile nominarne solo alcuni. Cercherò di fare alcuni esempi. Proprio ora ho qui un libro d’arte chiamato “not in fashion” di Mark Borthwick, che amo molto. E sulle pareti accanto alla scrivania ho messo alcune immagini dei film di Jonas Mekas. Mi piacciono le cose poetiche e romantiche. Sempre sulle pareti ho cartoline di Henry Darger e Saul Steinberg. Mi piacciono la loro bizzarria e uomrismo.

For further information see also http://www.seeouterspace.com/ .
All the images posted here are by Yeti Yeji Yun.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...