Monday 5 July 2010

Karen Neill - When Art uses scientific tools





I live in the country in the UK and have been renovating and extending an old farm cottage - I will have my new studio in about 2 months time so I will start work again! I discovered my passion for art when I was about 5 years old. I had my children when I was very young so I wasn’t able to 'tap' into my art until I was the grand age of 45 when I went to Art College - Byam Shaw School of Art at Central St Martin's in London where I did a Fine Art Degree ( BA Hons) - I started photographing the marks sea water make on the sea shore/beach. My passion grew as I photographed, painted the sea, rivers, water, then I started experimenting with dispersing dyes in water and oil then I discovered Liquid Crystal after 3 years or so - and went on a residency as an artist in a scientist's world of the laboratory. There I filmed and photographed liquid crystal through the microscope. I have won some photographic awards and have had group and solo shows. It is a hard place to try and make a living but a passion is a gift of life so I am lucky to enjoy that.

Vivo nella campagna inglese, in questo momento sto rinnovando il mio studio e espandendo una vecchia cascina, avrò finito I lavori tra 2 mesi così potrò ricominciare a lavorare! Ho scoperto la mia passione per l’arte quando avevo circa 5 anni. Ho avuto i miei figli quando ero molto giovane così non sono riuscita a dedicarmi all’arte fino all’età di 45 anni, quando mi sono iscritta alla scuola d’arte - Byam Shaw School of Art at Central St Martin's a Londra, dove ho ottenuto la laurea in Arte -. All’inizio fotografavo i segni che le onde del mare lasciavano sulla spiaggia. Poi sono passata a fotogrfare il mare, i fiumi, l’acqua e anche a dipingerli. Infine, ho iniziato a sperimentare disperdendo tinture e olio nell’acqua. Fino a quando non ho scoperto i Cristalli Liquidi, così mi sono trasferita per un po’ in qualità di artista nel mondo scentifico dei laboratory per fotografare e filmare i Cristalli Liquidi al microscopio. Ho vinto alcuni premi fotografici e ho esposto le mie opera in alcune mostre sia collettive che unicamente mie. É difficile riuscire a vivere di questo lavoro, ma una passione è un dono della vita, così mi ritengo fortunata e lo sfrutto al massimo!

For further information see also http://www.karenneill.com/.
All the images posted here are Karen Neill’s works.



2 comments:

Elektra said...

very beautiful and original

Giulia said...

Yeah:) I think the same. like the colur combinations!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...