Friday 9 July 2010

Robert Minervini - the beauty and the ugly of life as an artistic inspiration






- Can you tell us something about yourself? When did you discover your passion for art?
I'm a artist living in San Francisco, California focusing primarily on large scale landscape based painting. Since I was a child I have loved to draw, and as an adolescent I decided I wanted to make art for two reasons. One, I had no interest in doing anything else (I was a pretty rebellious kid who only liked skateboarding, drumming, drawing, making music, and combining these things) and two, I didn't think I was good at anything else. As I've gotten older, I think that studying and practicing art making has expanded my thinking and opened me up to a broader way of looking at the world. I'm so fascinated and interested in learning about everything and everyone I can....it's quite a 180 degree turn.

- How do you create your works?
I make my works in a very specific planned way but I leave a lot of room for chance and unplanned decisions along the way. I start by take a lot of photographs of my environment which I mash up to create digital collages. I use these collages as a starting point for each painting. Each painting starts with a layer of color and paint is built up through stenciling, and light transparent washes of color until eventually I build my way up to opacity. Along the way I might change or add elements and things here or there which, for me, brings the painting to life and tells me what it is "about".

- What are your main sources of inspirations?
I get a lot of ideas from observing daily life and the little things I notice in the world are then turned into images. Inspiration often comes from things like the way light hits the side of a building, or the color of California sunsets. Sometimes it comes from things that are ugly like advertising or urban decay. The paradox is that those things that are "unappealing" aesthetically are just as interesting to me and I think the impetus of my work is the join the two ends of the aesthetic spectrum.

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te? Quando hai scoperto la tua passione per l’arte?
Sono un artista che vive a San Francisco, California, la mia arte si focalizza principalmente su grandi dipinti di paesaggi. Da quando ero bambino ho sempre amato disegnare, e da adolescente ho deciso che avrei voluto fare arte per due ragioni. La prima è che non mi interessava fare nient’altro, ( ero un ragazzino abbastanza ribelle a cui piaceva soltanto andare sullo skate, suonare la batteria, disegnare, fare musica e combinare queste cose assieme). La seconda ragione, non pensavo di essere bravo in niente d’altro. Quando sono cresciuto, ho realizzato che studiare e fare arte mi ha permesso di espandere i miei pensieri e la mia visione del mondo. Sono sempre interessato a imparare tutto il possibile su tutto e tutti... per me è stata una svolta completa.

- Come crei i tuoi lavori?
Creo I miei lavori in modo molto pianificato e specifico, ma lascio aperte molte porte per cambiamenti di decisioni o idée non pianificate. Inizio facendo molte fotografie dell’ambiente che ho deciso di dipingere, che poi metto insieme con un collage digitale. Uso questo collage come punto d’inizio per ogni dipinto. Ogni dipinto, poi, inizia con la stesura di uno strato di colore, mentre il disegno è creato con lo stencil e lavaggi di colore leggermente trasparenti fino a quando non trovo l’opacità desiderata. Lungo questo procedimento posso cambiare o aggiungere elementi e cose qua e là che, a mio parere, danno vita al dipinto e mi dicono qualcosa in più.

- Quali sono le tue principali fonti d’ispirazione?
Mi vengono un sacco d’idee osservando la vita quotidiana e le piccolo cose che noto nel mondo sono poi trasformate in immagini. L’ispirazione arriva da cose tipo il modo in cui la luce colpisce le finestre del palazzo, o I colori del tramonto californiano. Altre volte l’ispirazione arriva da cose sgradevoli come le pubblicità o il degrado urbano. Il paradosso è che queste cose così “non attraenti” esteticamente in realtà mi interessano molto. Ritengo che l’impeto nel mio lavoro è unire insieme le due “parti finali” dello spettro estetico.

For further information see also http://robertminervini.com/home.html.
All the images posted here are Robert Minervini’s works.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...