Friday 16 July 2010

Nathalie Daoust - the sociological side of photography





- Can you tell us something about yourself?
I like to learn about subcultures and different realities. Places and people that I would not normally encounter in my everyday life. This is also why I have been traveling-living for the past 14 years. To discover new places.

- When did you discover your passion for photography?
I was about 14- 15 and started a photo course at school. The teacher gave us a project and I made a "big production" in my basement and made an imaginary world for the photos. It was an amazing feeling when I saw the picture, plus everyone loved it and I even sold me first photo back then, my teacher bought one of them . So all this positive reaction gave me the courage to not stop and do photography instead of my first choice Mathematics.

- How do you create your works?
If you talk about the technical side; everything I do is analog, I print everything in a darkroom, I normally use 35mm film.. no special Photoshop effects. But this is becoming more and more complicated since there is no more darkrooms (for my last two projects I flew to Brazil where I know there is a good darkroom at the SENAC.)..

- What are your main sources of inspirations?
I like to photograph where people escape reality so I would say that I get more inspired on a sociological point of view and by the people I meet. It’s almost more about the meeting and learning about these people that interest me then the actual picture.

- Ci puoi raccontare qualcosa su di te?
Mi piace conoscere le sottoculture e differenti realtà. Posti e persone che non avrei modo d’incontrare nella mia vita quotidiana. Questo è il motivo per cui ho viaggiato negli scorsi 14 anni. Per scoprire posti nuovi.

- Quando hai scoperto la tua passione per la fotografia?
Avevo 14-15 anni e ho iniziato un corso di fotografia a scuola. L’insegnante ci ha affidato un progetto e io ho messo in piedi una grossa produzione nel mio seminterrato, creando un mondo immaginario dove scattare le foto. È stata una sensazione fantastica quando ho visto le foto, inoltre le foto piacquero molto a tutti e la mia maestra ne comprò una . Tutte queste reazioni positive mi hanno dato il coraggio per proseguire fotografia, invece di fare matematica.

- Come crei i tuoi lavori?
Se parli della parte tecnica; tutto è fatto in analogico, di solito uso una pellicola da 35 mm, stampo le foto in una camera oscura... nessun effetto photoshop particolare. Ma sta diventando sempre più complicato dal momento che le camere oscure stanno sparendo (per i miei due ultimi progetti sono dovuta andare in Brasile dove so che c’è una buona camera oscura al SENAC).

- Quali sono le tue principali fonti d’ispirazione?
Mi piace fotografare quando le persone evadono la realtà. Quindi si può dire che sono più ispirata dall’aspetto sociologico e dalle persone che incontro. Infatti la sono più interessata a conoscere e ad imparare dalle persone che incontro che dalla fotografia in sè.

For further information see also http://www.daoustnathalie.com/.
All the images posted here are Nathalie Daoust’s works.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...